We naturally produce cannabinoids in our endocannabinoid system – one affecting multiple bodily processes such as mood, appetite, pain, and varying cognitive functions. One of the most beneficial endocannabinoids is anandamide (the bliss molecule).
Anandamide is important because it activates our CB1 receptors. These receptors help to:
- Relieving depression
- Known to step the proliferation of breast cancer cells
- Lower intestinal inflammation
- Decrease the occurrence of Leaky Gut Syndrome
- Lower blood pressure
- Decrease anxiety, fear, and paranoia
- Benefits for people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
While anandamide works to activate our CB1 receptors our bodies release an enzyme called FAAH that break down anandamide. The reason CBD is beneficial is that it inhibits FAAH’s ability to do its job.
NOTE: CBD also activates PPAR-gamma receptors (PPAR-gamma receptors play a role in lipid uptake, insulin sensitivity, dopamine release and the degradation of beta-amyloid plaque which can positively affect diseases such as diabetes, schizophrenia, and Alzheimer’s).